Professional Licenses

Are you looking to start a business in Virginia? Our Getting Started Guide is the place to being your journey.

At a minimum, all businesses operating in the Hampton Roads region will be required to maintain a city or county business license. These are obtained at the local Commissioner of the Revenue Office. In addition, certain occupations require additional professional licensing by the Commonwealth. These include:

  • Architects
  • Asbestos/Lead Related Jobs
  • Auctioneers
  • Barbers
  • Branch Pilots
  • Certified Public Accountants
  • Certified Interior Designers
  • Certified Landscape Architects
  • Certified Professional Soil Scientists
  • Contractors/Tradesmen
  • Cosmetologists
  • Geologists
  • Hearing Aid Specialists
  • Land Surveyors
  • Nail Technicians
  • Opticians
  • Polygraph Examiners
  • Professional Engineers
  • Real Estate Appraisers
  • Real Estate Agents
  • Waste Management Facility Operators
  • Water and Wastewater Works Operators

Information concerning these licenses can be found at the Commonwealth’s Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation by using the link below.

Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation